Saturday 20 April 2013

2009 - my first poem

I want to tell people about how bad it is to have no voice and how writing songs and poems helps.

The poems allow me to say things I would probably not say in normal conversations.  The real truth is that I would be afraid to say some things just in normal talk.

The start of my writing was just in my head.  Then in 2009 I actually put words down.

This was my first try at poetry:



I Am A Bit Autistic But A Normal Kid 
Think about all the people you know 
I am one of them. 
I am a bit autistic but just a normal kid. 
I am everywhere that you are 
I am a member of the community too.
I am where you are.
I go to the same places. 
I am interested in the same things. 
I read the same books. 
I visit the same places. 
I am just like you but I am autistic too. 
I am a normal kid I like the things you do. 
I listen to your music and learn your songs. 
And now you can learn mine. 
I am a bit autistic but I am a normal kid. 
I am interested in life and you are interesting too. 
I am a bit autistic and a normal kid like you. 
And wherever you are there am I too. 
I am all over the world and in everyplace. 
I see the things you see
I worry about what you are thinking of me. 
I am a different person but just a normal kid. 
I am a bit autistic but I am just a normal kid like you. 
I think there's too much attention on my autism
and not enough on me.

 (First published in “Bayside Sailability Dispatches” November 2009)


No comments:

Post a Comment